It was an action packed weekend as the Dublin Indoors took centre stage at the National Sports Arena in Abbotstown. A special thanks to the Dublin County Athletics Board, all the parents, coaches and especially the athletes who represented the club on many fronts. Congratulations to the following athletes and relay teams on Dublin titles: Bobbi Gilespie (U14 Walk), Evan Walshe (U16 Walk), Ellen Cheung (U16 800m), Robyn O’Brien (U18 200m), Girls & Boys U12 relay squad and Boys U13 relay squad. The Top 4’s in each event from U12’s and older now qualify through to represent the club at the National Indoor Championships in AIT in late March. The reports are all included below:
REPORT from Day 3 Sunday
Congrats to Robyn & Ellen on individual titles on an action packed day where the Middle distance races took centre stage. See the below summary on Sunday’s performances:
- Sam Kelly U14, 3rd Shot Putt
- U9’s/ U10’s: Emelie Vioreanu came fourth in her heat. Conor O’Brien U9 who ran a very good 500 m and came 3rd in his heat (did not qualify for a medal on time). Congrats to Andrew Schwer had a fine top 3 finish in the boys U9 500m
- U11’s: Holly O’Brien had a great top 3 finish in the girls U11 and there were also good runs from David McMahon and Killian Thornton, Donnacha Barry, Ben McClenaghan, Rachel O’Brien and Abbie O’Connor
- U12’s: Sean O’Riagain capped off a fine weekend with another top 3 for the club in the boys 600m with Daniel Schwer and Luke Moraghan also going well. Aine O’Neill had a good run in the girls race
- U13’s: Some fine performances from Laura Hegarty and Shane Van Zuydam who made the final, Robert O’Brien, Hannah O’Brien, Oscar Canavan and Amelie Cafferky
- U14’s: James O’Brien and Sam Kelly made the 800m final and we also had strong showings from Doug Walshe, Lucy Schwer, Ciara Dunne, Simone Towns and Sarah O’Brien in various events. James also qualified through to the 60m Hurdles final.
- U16’s: Ellen Cheung, in her first race for the club in 18 months, was a strong winner of the 800m whilst Pappy Tucker was just run out of the medals in the boys 200m final. Beth Sweeney also made the 200m girls final and ran very well whilst Cianan Martin was very unlucky to miss out on a final slot in the boys 200m (missing out by one place)
- U17’s: Lara Gilespie took a fine silver medal in the girls 800m whilst Jack Moraghan put in some very strong performances over 200m and 800m
- U18’s: Robyn O’Brien had a fantastic run in the 200m, where it was very tight all the way down the last stretch but held on strongly for a deserved win.
REPORT from Day 2 Saturday
The action continued on Day 2/ Saturday in the National Sports Campus with a big turn out from our athletes. Congratulations to Bobbi Gilespie (U14 Walk) and Evan Walshe (U16 Walk) on individual titles. We had other notable performances from:
Patrick Curran and Conor O’Brien ran impressive heats and both qualified in their semis to join Andrew in the final.
Andrew Schwer U9, 2nd 60m
Good performance for Kate Sengupta, who finished first in the 60m semis, and missed a medal by a whisker in the final in her first competitive outing
Maria Crimmins in the U10 60m ran a good first heat to qualify for the semis. Came 4th in the semis.
- Shane van Zuydam U13, 2nd in LJ
- Robert O’Brien U13, 3rd in LJ
- Killian Curran U13, 5th sprints and 4th LJ
- Peter Walshe U12, 3rd in LJ and finalist in sprint final
- Sean O’Riagain U12, 2nd in HJ
- Libby O’Gorman U12, 2nd in 60m
- Annalie & Grace also made U12 60m final
- Patrick Tucker U16 3rd in 60m
Francesca Comer U11, 60m semis
Donnacha Barry U11, 2nd in 60m with Dave McMahon and Jack reaching the Semis
- Robyn O’Brien U18, 3rd 60m
- Emma O’Brien, U15 3rd 60m
- Doug Walshe, U14 2nd Walk
- Isabel O’Brien, U14 2nd Walk and 60m semis
- Beth , U14 60m semis
- Sean O’Riagain U12, 4th in LJ
- Libby O’Gorman, U12, 4th in LJ
- James OBrien, U14, 4th in Walk
- Grace Manning, U19 5th 1500m
REPORT from Day 1 Friday
A busy weekend kicked off in style at the superb new facility in Abbotstown on Friday night. Well done to all our teams who put in some great performances. Congratulations to the girls U12 team and the boys U12 & U13 teams who secured Dublin titles. Provisional results as follows:
Boys A, just outside medals. Boys B, great effort, good first taste of competition Girls: put in their best effort, but very competitive field
The teams were: Girls: Sarah Cowman, Julia Somers, Maeve O’Riagain, Willow Hogan. Boys A: Andrew Clancy, Marcus Moyna, Alfie O’Gorman, Ryan Duffy. Boys B: Harry Slye, Eoin Fitzpatrick, Conor O’Brien, Max Bolger
Under 11 Results:
We had 4 relay teams for u11s with 2 reaching the finals last night. Well done to the boys squad who took a fine team bronze and the girls team were very unlucky finishing just outside the top 3. Girls A relay team: Julia, Abby, Holly and Francesca. They won their relay heat by a long stretch. Boys A Relay team had a fine 3rd place despite a poor heat with errors on almost every changeover. Well done to the boys.
Under 12 Results:
Congratulations to the squad of Annalie McMahon, Libby O’Gorman, Garce O’Connor and Ruby Mullen on a fine team vicyory.
The second team of Eve Gormley, Anna Purcell, Joanna Dunne and Madeline Crimmons performed very well as did the third team of Aine O’Neill, Alex Maher, Aifric Patchell and Emily Becker. Well done to the three girls teams. In the boys section, congratulations to Peter Walshe, Luke Moraghan, Sean O’Riagain and David Purcell on a great team win.
The team of Daniel Schwer, Paul Sweeney, Brendan Friel and Alex Connaughton also ran well.
Congratulations to Robert O’Brien, Killian Curran, Matthew Slevin and Shane van Zuydam on a great team victory. Great performances also from the team of Conn Lucey, Tom O’Connor, Ziyad Omar and Patrick White and to the third team of Oscar Cannavan, Fionn O’Donoghue, Pouria Khaddam and Niall O’Shea.
The girls also performed well with great team performances from:
A Team: Alexandra Browne, Ella Cowman, Laura Hegarty and Hannah O’Brien, B Team: Amelie Cafferky, Sophie Maher, Dara Smyth and Niamh Walsh, C team: Amelia Axelsson, Grace Naughton, Isabelle Rhatigan and Ciara Thornton.
The two boys teams of: Oliver, Doug, James and Yuri & Ciaran, Enda, Joe and Harry got to the final. Well done lads.
One girls team got to final: Beth, Lucy, Natasha and Isabel Lynch
Congratulations to the team of Beth Sweeney, Lara Gilespie, Kristina O’Connor and Sinead O’Shea on a fine silver medal in the 4 x 200m. The boys team of Luke Reynolds, Jack Moraghan, Evan Walshe and Cianan Martin also ran well.