Blackrock A.C. Members participate in the 50km/100km National Championship, the clear highlight of this weeks round-up and the last weekend! The club is also still looking for volunteers and Blackrock Men’s are offering a 5k time trial on 29th August. All details can be found below.
National 50km/100km Championship – Congratulations
Blackrock A.C. was well represented over the weekend for the National 50km/100km Championship at Mondello Park.
James Dowling completed his first 50km in a time of 5:30:07 in 66th position, Gerry Flaherty was 46th in a time of 4:55:44 and Rob came 7th overall in the 50km in a super time of 3:46:33, taking some ten minutes off his previous PB!
“I’ve long been a motor racing fan but never thought my track racing debut would be on foot. It was such a great day and left me buzzing for a long time afterwards! 27.5 laps sounds a lot but made the whole experience very sociable as we saw everyone multiple times. A special shout out to our two wonderful BAC supporters who stayed throughout, in all the weather!” – Rob Asher
“Hard to capture in a few words. Amazing comments on many platforms which is unusual to see. I think the mixture of normal and elite runners on a small lap made for an amazing event.” Gerry Flaherty
Ted Burke managed a PB 100km and completed in 9:29:10. Truly incredible running.
There was also amazing support on the track from Róisín and Sarah who were there from early on right through to the end, braving the elements as they made sure our members were kept fuelled and injury-free throughout the race. Thank you both very much for that stellar performance!!
The camaraderie around Mondello was incredible. So many dark moments met with great support at different points around the track. Thanks, Anto and all the team who made it one of the best days out I’ve had in years. Added bonus for that thunder, lightning, and down-pouring which was one of the most refreshing and fun moments of my running career! 🙂
Huge kudos to all the support crews after the finish line, especially Blackrock A.C. crew Róisín and Sarah!! – James Dowling
Congratulations to everyone. Blackrock A.C. is reliably told that the next Donadea 50k will definitely be happening in Donadea Forest, restrictions allowing!! Some photographs from the day can be found below.
- Cianán Martin completed the 223km Coast to Coast, Dublin to Galway challenge on Friday. So far raising over €3,500 for Make a Wish. More info.
- Athletics Ireland have declared that the Belfast Marathon on 3rd October will be the national marathon championship. The event is sold out, but 200 extra places are being made available to valid Athletics Ireland club members with a qualifying time over the past 3 years. Those who have already signed up can apply to be included in the championship. More details here: https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/2021-national-marathon-championships
The 2020 Fit4life Awards are being presented this Tuesday at 7pm before our weekly training session. The awards being presented are the Fit4life Athlete of the Year and the Most Improved Fit4life Athlete of the Year.
Blackrock A.C. is looking for volunteers
We are currently looking for volunteers for the below events:
- World record attempt: Want to be part of a world record attempt? We still need some members to help out on Saturday 9th October 2021 to run as part of a group for all or part of a marathon distance with a twist. More info including registration are here: https://blackrockac.ie/blackrock-ac-to-support-michael-ferndale-unique-challenge/
- Blackrock A.C. Men’s training: We are looking for volunteers to lead the Tuesday/Sunday training sessions in September/ October / November – please let Rob know if you would be happy to lead some sessions.
The Roundwood Reservoir 10k on Sunday 12th September at 10.30 is being recommended as a group run for Fit4life. This run is on a lovely scenic course around the Vartry Reservoir. More details can be found here: https://lakers.ie/lakers-events/roundwoodrun2021/
The following are some other races recommenced for the Blackrock A.C. members:
- Club 5km postponed – For various reasons we are not able to go ahead with the Club 5k next weekend after all – but we are aiming to reschedule (again!) later on in the year, date TBC as soon as possible. For those who do want a good 5k blast, I’ll be hosting a 5k time trial session at the Shoreline running track in Greystones on Sun 29th, all welcome – signup details here
- London Virtual 10km Pairs- September 12 – Link
- IMRA calendar (mountain running) – various dates and locations – calendar here – note registration opening a few days ahead of each race so keep a close eye
- Dublin Virtual Race Series – Half on 18/19 Sep and Full on 23-25 Oct – Link
- Dublin Mountain 10k trail run – 21 Aug – Link
- Garden County 5k/10k, Co Wicklow – 05 Sep – Link
- St Brigids AC track fundraiser 5k, Meath (road race not track) – 05 Sep – Link
- The Lakes 10k, Blessington – 11 Sep – Link
- Medic Half Marathon, Monstarevin – 11 Sep – Link
- Ratoath Half Marathon and 5k, Meath – 11 Sep – Link
- Roundwood Reservoir 10k – 12 Sep – Link
- Mullingar Half Marathon, 25 Sep – Link – sold out for now, but more spaces may open as and when restrictions are eased
- Dublin Mountain Trail Running Festival – various trail runs, 10k to 100k (!) – 19/20 Nov – Link
- Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon (Half and Full) – 27 Nov – Link
- Connemarathon 2022 – 24th April 2022 (half, full, ultra) – very far in advance but entries now open and limited due to deferrals from 2020/21 – Link
Club 5k postponed / 5km time trials on 29th August
Weekly 8km and 16km results
Latest results coming soon… If there are any errors please let Gerry know.
We are still required to follow HSE Guidelines. Anyone who had not completed the Covid-19 survey can do so at the following link (Covid19 form link). If anyone is not feeling well in any way or injured you should not come to training.
The current requirements will remain in place until further notice. Hope to see some new faces at training this week and as usual, everyone is welcome. If you have not signed up for 2021 membership, you can do so here.