Blackrock A.C. members were delighted about the return of Parkrun in Ireland last weekend and though Parkruns only took place in some parks outside of Dublin, some of our members took the chance and headed to Avondale to enjoy an early morning run. Parkruns will be restarting in Dublin on 25th September and we cannot wait to be back.
It is great see some races coming back and to see a number of people from Blackrock A.C. taking part.
- At the Roundwood Reservoir 10km today we had good runs by Rachel, Pat, James, Imelda and Brian C. Rachel did a double at the weekend while competing at the Blessington 10km the day before.
- At the Avondale Forest 5km parkrun, we had good runs by Carmel, Natalie, Arik and Ted (2nd overall).
- Ted Burke became 3rd in the Bling Hunters Garden County 10k run with a finishing time of 00:37:49 – a brilliant time.
- Well done to Grainne who took part in Gaelforce West.
2020 Bac Men’s Award Winners
Weekly 8km and 16km results – the final week
Well done to everyone who took part in the 8km and 16km virtual runs over the last 10 weeks. Overall, 30 took part in the 8km and 17 in the 16km and thanks to all participants. You can still fill in weeks you may not have logged by looking back over your Garmin or Strava.
New Fit4life Virtual 10k Challenge
From now until the end of the October, we are going to continue the series and have a 10km virtual challenge. Just log a 10km each week for any of your runs or even enter an average over a longer run. This is a good opportunity to do a weekly tempo run with a recommended pace of half marathon pace or a 10km race time +5 minutes. Perhaps this could be done each Tuesday. 10km Virtual run
Half marathon training ideas
Are you looking for a specific half marathon training plan to get you a certain time? The following link may give you some ideas – Training Plan. For the average runner, 3 to 4 days a week (including a weekend long run) will help you complete a half marathon. A tempo run once a week will also help with strength training.
The following are some other races recommenced for the Blackrock A.C. members:
- IMRA calendar (mountain running) – various dates and locations – calendar here – note registration opening a few days ahead of each race so keep a close eye
- Dublin Virtual Race Series – Half on 18/19 Sep and Full on 23-25 Oct – Link
- Naas Town 10k and 5k – 26 Sep – Link
- Galway Bay Marathon – 02 Oct – Link – latest info from organisers is that they still hope to proceed
- Wicklow Hospice Marathon and Half Marathon – 09 Oct – Link
- Dublin Mountain Trail Running Festival – various trail runs, 10k to 100k (!) – 19/20 Nov – Link
- Run The Line (13k and 26k mountain run, Glencullen) – 20 Nov – Link new
- Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon (Half and Full) – 27 Nov – Link
- Clontarf 5 mile and Half Marathon – 27 Nov – Link new but selling fast
- Donadea 50k (back in the forest!) – 12 Feb 2022 – reg TBC
- Seville marathon – 20 Feb 2022 – multiple BAC members signed up already but may sell out soon – Link
- Connemarathon 2022 – 24th April 2022 (half, full, ultra) – very far in advance but entries now open and limited due to deferrals from 2020/21 – Link
Training continues as normal this week. Anyone who had not completed the Covid-19 survey can do so at the following link (Covid19 form link). If anyone is not feeling well in any way or injured you should not come to training. For those currently on trial, if you want to join the club , you can do so here: Membership link